With a similar richness and flavour of beef, but just so much leaner, ostrich meat has less fat and cholesterol than skinless chicken. These burgers are a truly delicious, a fun-to-eat experience with some local South African flair and a gourmet twist.
• B-well Cooking Olive Oil, enough for cooking
• 500 g ostrich mince
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• ½ green pepper, finely chopped
• 3 Tbsp chutney
• 1 Tbsp ground coriander
• 6-7 Tbsp bread crumbs (or more)
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 handful parsley, chopped
• 3 handfuls of basil, chopped
• ½ tsp salt
• ground black pepper, to taste
• 4 sesame burger rolls, halved
• 4 thin slices of white cheddar/Red Leicester cheese
• Tabasco® Chipotle sauce
• 3 Tbsp B-well Thick & Creamy Mayonnaise
• 2 Tbsp tomato ketchup
• 1 tsp Tabasco® Chipotle sauce
• 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ of an iceberg lettuce, finely chopped
• 2 Tbsp B-well Cooking Olive Oil
• 3 onions, thinly and evenly sliced
• ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar/coconut nectar sugar
1. Caramelized onions: heat the B-well Cooking Olive Oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add onions with a pinch of salt, cook slowly for about 30-40 min. Stir occasionally until soft and a golden caramel colour.
2. Add sugar and balsamic vinegar to onions. Keep cooking on a low heat for another 5 min, stirring occasionally until mix is sticky, the sugar has dissolved and the vinegar has reduced. Once done, set aside.
3. Burger sauce: mix all the ingredients together, add lettuce and mix, then season to taste and refrigerate.
4. Burger patty: combine onions and green pepper together and mix well. Add the ostrich mince, mix well. Add the coriander, chutney, bread crumbs, egg, parsley and basil, mix well. Add salt and ground black pepper.
5. The mixture should be firm and hold its form while cooking, if not add more breadcrumbs.
6. Separate the mixture into 4 balls, then press down to form patties. Oil a plate and place patties in fridge to chill for ±15 min.
7. Grab patties from fridge. Prepare a non-stick frying pan on high heat. Sprinkle the patties with B-well Cooking Olive Oil, then into the pan press down with a spatula. After 1 min, flip the patties and brush each cooked side with ½ tsp of mustard and a dash of tabasco.
8. Add cheese on top of patties, add a tiny splash of water to the pan and place lid over the burgers to melt cheese.
9. In another pan, toast two halved rolls until lightly golden. Repeat with remaining rolls.
10. Assemble: add ¼ of burger sauce to the roll base, top with cheesy ostrich patty and ¼ of caramelized onions. Rub the top of the roll with a teaspoon of ketchup, add avocado and gherkin slices, gently press together.