Beer Battered Fish with Homemade Tartar October 30, 2015
Bwell Canola oil for frying
Pinch of salt and pepper
4 x 200g firm white fish
1 Tbsp (15ml) baking powder
1 cup (250ml) ice-cold beer
½ cup (125ml) mayonnaise
1-2 large gherkins, finely chopped
½ red onion, finely chopped
Handful of parsley, chopped
Small handful dill, finely chopped
Juice of ½ lemon
- Pour Bwell canola oil into a fryer or a deep heavy based pan.
- Season fish fillets with milled salt and ground pepper.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl and fold through the cold beer to form a batter, a similar consistency to thickened cream.
- Lightly coat each fillet with flour, and dust off the excess flour.
- Coat each fillet with batter; drain the excess of batter off the fillets before deep-frying in hot canola oil. Depending on the temperature, the fish should take about 6-8 minutes aside to cook through and turn golden in colour.
- Mix all your tartar ingredients together and serve with deep fried fish fillets and a couple lemon wedges on the side.