This leafy green and grain salad is a definite play on some mega superfoods, especially in heart health. This one features the Vitamin C and anti-oxidant rich Kale and spinach and cholesterol-lowering edamame and pumpkin seeds.
• ⅓ cup B-WELL extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 Tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 cup Quinoa
• 2 cups kale, washed and thinly shredded
• 1 apple, thinly sliced
• 2 cup baby spinach, chopped
• ¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
• 200g Peas or podded edamame beans
• ½ cup feta/goat cheese, crumbed
• ½ cup pumpkin seeds
1. In a jar or bowl, add all dressing ingredients, replace lid on jar and shake or whisk until all ingredients are combined. Store in the refrigerator when ready to use. Shake before use.
1. Rinse the quinoa well with cold water and drain through a fine mesh strainer to remove excess water.
2. Boil the kettle, will need 1 ½ cups
3. Add the rinsed and drained Quinoa into a dry pan, heated to medium. Toast the quinoa lightly until you can smell a nutty flavour, then remove off the heat.
4. In a pot, add 1 ½ cups boiling water and the toasted quinoa. Replace the lid, leaving a small gap for the steam to release. Cook for about 15 mins, or until all the water is gone. Remove lid and remove from the pot.
5. Allow the quinoa to cool down for at least 10 mins, then fluff with a fork.
6. Place the kale in a bowl along and massage for a minute or so to soften the kale. Then add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and let sit while chopping the remaining ingredients
7. Once the quinoa is cool and fluffed, add to a big salad bowl with the massaged kale, now add the spinach, mint, thin apple slices, cheese and edamame/peas.
8. Shake the vinaigrette, and drizzle over salad, toss, sprinkle the toasted pumpkin seeds and serve. Enjoy the zesty, satisfying, crunchy bite-fulls of deliciousness.