Inspired by Mediterranean cuisine, tomato-based and spice infusions, this is packed with free-radical attacking, cholesterol-lowering and anti-inflammatory action powered by foods filled with lycopene, allicin and anti-oxidants. This meal screams flavour and can easily be served for any meal of the day- including breakfast, created for budget and gourmet.
• 3 Tbsp B-Well Olive & Canola Blend Oil
• 8 egg whites
• 1 Medium-Large or 2 small Red Onion
• 3 cups ripe Tomatoes, blanched chopped
• 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
• 1 punnet of Mushrooms
• 6 cloves Garlic, peeled, whole
• 2 tbsp tomato paste
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp sweet paprika
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
• Zest of one lemon
• 1 tsp coconut nectar/brown sugar (optional)
• ½ tsp Salt or to taste
• ½ tsp black pepper
• ½ cup Fresh Parsley/Coriander for Garnish.
1. In a large frying/sauté pan, heat the B-Well Canola & Olive Blend Oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally until onion is brown.
2. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and sauté.
3. Add in the chopped red pepper, turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
4. Pour in the chopped tomatoes, add the sugar, turn the heat up slightly bringing mixture to a fast simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until the flavours combine and the sauce thickens slightly then reduce heat to medium-low.
5. Create wells in the mixture and gentle slip two egg-whites into each impression.
6. Replace the lid of the pan and gently poach eggs until cooked and firm.
7. Remove Lid, garnish with the herbs, lemon zest and optional feta cheese sprinkle on top and serve the shakshuka from the pan.