Inspired by the Lebanese Mujadara, we have changed the ratio of the ingredients as to maintain the element of side rice dish, although this dish is so scrumptious on its own.
• 3 Tbsp B-well Pure Canola Oil
• 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
• 5 ½ cups water
• 1 cup brown/green lentils, rinsed
• 2 cups rice, rinsed well
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
1. Heat the B-well Pure Canola oil in a skillet, sauté the onions with 1 tsp cumin and the garlic until lightly browned.
2. Remove ⅓ of the onion and garlic mix, set aside.
3. Continue cooking the rest of the onions until dark brown and black in places.
4. In the meantime, bring water to a boil in a pot, add the lentils, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 min.
5. To the lentils, add the ⅓ lightly browned onions, rinsed rice, salt and remaining ½ tsp cumin.
6. Cover and simmer for about 15 min or until rice is tender (may need longer if using brown rice).
7. Remove from heat and stir in the well-browned onions.
8. Cover and let it stand for 5-10 min to steam and to allow the flavours to infuse.
9. Serve and enjoy the textures and flavours.