A little culinary magic for the colder season when a lighter meal or warm treat is desired. This one is packed with seasonal veggies and will provide a good chunk of nutrients to keep the immune system strong and your taste buds so happy!
• 1 roll frozen, readymade shortcrust pastry, defrosted
• 3 baby marrows, grated
• 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
• 2 cups baby spinach, lightly chopped
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup coconut cream
• ¼ cup parmesan cheese
• 1 tbsp basil pesto
• ½ tsp paprika
• 125 ml cheddar cheese, grated
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and place an oven tray in the oven to heat up too.
2. In a quiche or flan dish, spread the pastry over, trimming the excess along the rim and lining the base and sides. Press gently to set and then with a fork, jab some holes in the base to make sure it cooks evenly.
3. Place in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes or until pastry is firm.
4. Bake pastry for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
5. Reduce oven to 180°C.
6. In a sperate bowl, squeeze excess moisture from the grated baby marrow and carrot and spread over the base of the quiche, then sprinkle the chopped spinach evenly too.
7. Whisk together the eggs, parmesan, coconut cream, the salt, pepper, paprika and basil pesto.
8. Pour over vegetables and sprinkle with cheese.
9. Bake quiche for 35-40 minutes or until golden and set.
10. Allow the quiche to stand for 5 minutes, then serve it warm as is, with your favourite side salad, roast veg or accompanying a delicious soup.