A delicately flavoured, yet absolutely delectable coconut cream-based curry, filled with fibre and antioxidant-rich ingredients that also contribute to extra creaminess and tantalizing textures. Simple to make, easier to eat.
• 2 Tbsp B-well Pure Canola Oil
• 1 large yellow onion, diced
• 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1,5cm squares
• 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained
• 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
• 2 cups baby spinach
• 3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tsp ginger, minced
• 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 1 tsp turmeric
• ½ tsp cumin
• 2 cups coconut milk (Keep ¼ cup aside)
• 2 Tbsp corn starch
• ½ cup roasted cashews, divided
• 3 Tbsp fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
1. In a large cooking pot, heat the B-well Pure Canola oil over moderate heat.
2. Add the onions and cook them, stirring every so often until they soften and braise.
3. Once onions are brown, add a splash of water and then add the sweet potato and cinnamon sticks. Cook until liquid dries up and the sweet potato has cooked slightly.
4. Now add the cayenne pepper, cumin and turmeric. Stir to coat the vegetables and cook for another minute.
5. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes (with the liquid), ginger, garlic and coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
7. At this point, if you’d like a thicker curry, mix ¼ cup of the cold coconut milk with the corn starch and gradually stir the mixture into the curry.
8. Cover the curry and simmer it for another 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
9. Add half of the roasted cashews and mix them in.
10. Garnish with parsley or coriander and the remaining cashews sprinkled on top and serve this hearty, creamy dish
11. Serve with warm naan bread, whole wheat roti or rice.