Whether you’re into breakfast or not, omelets or omelettes have come up as a foodie favourite, beyond the morning table setting. Omelets are an easy, convenient and super tasty way to whip up something yummy and nutritious in a matter of minutes. This omelet has a twist of fab, it is totally egg-free and so delicious.
• 2 ½ tbsp B-well Extra Virgin olive oil
• B-well Extra Virgin Olive oil cooking spray
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 400g package of silken tofu
• 3 tbsp brown rice/tapioca/potato flour or Sub with Protein powder
• 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 2 tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 2 pinches (smoked) paprika
• ½ tsp vegetable stock/bouillon
• 1 tsp black salt (Kala Namak)
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• 1 tbsp corn/potato starch
• ¼ cup – ½ cup plant milk (unsweetened)
• Sea salt & black pepper to taste
1. Cook the Filling ingredients and set aside to cool (make sure to remove excess liquid before adding to omelet).
2. Spray a large non-stick skillet with B-well Olive cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat, add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent and blush then remove from heat.
3. Add the sauteed onion to a blender, then add the tofu, nutritional yeast, B-well Extra Virgin olive oil, garlic powder, and turmeric. Slowly add the plant milk to the mixture blend until you have a smooth paste. Make sure to scrape down the sides as needed.
4. Add the corn/potato starch, veg stock, black salt and pepper, then slowly add the rice flour and blend again for about 30 seconds, add more milk if needed. Blend until mixture is smooth and like a pancake-batter thickness.
5. Spray another layer of B-well Olive cooking spray on to the skillet and heat on medium heat until hot. Pour the batter into the center of the skillet in a circular pattern about 15-20 cm across, using a spoon/spatula to smooth over the top.
6. Cover, and cook the omelette for 5 – 8 minutes, or until top seems dry.
7. Place your filling ingredients over the batter, and reduce the heat to medium-low.
8. When the edges have dried out and the middle has firmed, lift a small section with a spatula and check to see that the omelette is set.. When it’s ready, loosen the omelette by sliding the spatula under it from each direction, and then fold one side over the other. Gently loosen the omelette from the bottom of the pan with a spatula and carefully slide it on to the plate, serve hot!
9. Wipe skillet, respray with B-well cooking spray, reheat to high and then repeat for the rest of the batter.