Summer Foods, incoming. This vegan version of the traditional beef taco is a sure pleaser, even for avid meat fans. Tacos filled with juicy, flavourful, vegan-meaty filling- topped with a creamy B-well Taco sauce and fresh, crunchy and sweet salad, this dish will have you anticipating ‘Taco Tuesdays’ every week.
• 3 Tbsp B-well Cooking Olive Oil
• 1 Onion, diced
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 celery stalk, diced
• 4 cups brown/porcini/shiitake mushrooms, sliced and diced
• 3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
• 2 Bay leaves
• 2 Tbsp tomato puree
• 1 cup Organic vegetable stock
• 2 cups Puy/green lentils, rinsed well
• 2 x 400g cans chopped plum/Italian tomatoes
• 1 tsp paprika
• ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• ½ tsp cumin powder
• ½ tsp dried basil
• 1 stick of cinnamon
• ½ tsp oregano
• 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
• 1 tsp soya sauce
• 1 tbsp brown/coconut sugar
• ½ cup fresh coriander, to garnish
• 2 cups red cabbage, thinly shredded
• 1 cup corn, for topping
• 12 hard Taco shells
1. Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms and celery into a food process and pulse until chopped into small bits.
2. In a sauce pan, heat up the B-well Cooking Olive Oil, add the chopped vegetables, salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms have browned and onions are well braised.
3. Add the Worcester, soya sauce and garlic to the veg and stir, cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture dries.
4. Now add in the diced tomatoes, the tomato puree, veg broth, rinsed lentils, basil, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, brown sugar, stick cinnamon and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
5. Bring to a boil, replace lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils have cooked and are soft.
6. Remove off heat, remove cinnamon and bay leaves and allow to cool down.
7.Serve vegan mince into the Taco shells, top with shredded lettuce, a spoonful of corn, chopped tomato and cucumber salsa, avocado and grated cheese of choice
8.Top with your favourite sauces and seeds, garnished with fresh coriander. Serve and Enjoy. Can be eaten on days that don’t start with a “T” too.