Bite Sized Churros February 20, 2017
For all you doughnut lovers out there, these bite sized churros drizzled in chocolate sauce are guaranteed to hit the spot.
Ingredients for Churros:
50g butter, melted
½ tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 litre B-well canola oil, for frying
Ingredients for Sauce:
200g dark chocolate, not too bitter, broken into chunks
100ml double cream
100ml whole milk
3 Tbsp golden syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Boil the kettle, then measure 350ml boiling water into a jug and add the melted butter and vanilla extract. Sift the flour and baking powder into a big mixing bowl with a big pinch of salt. Then pour in the contents of the jug and very quickly beat into the flour with a wooden spoon until lump-free. Rest for 10-15 mins while you make the sauce.
2. Put all the sauce ingredients into a pan and gently melt together, stirring occasionally until you have a smooth shiny sauce. Keep warm on a low heat.
3. Fill a large deep saucepan one-third full of B-well canola oil. Heat until sizzling hot. Cover a tray with kitchen paper and mix the caster sugar and cinnamon together.
4. Roll the dough into a long sausage shape, then cut the dough in 1 cm pieces all the way through. Fry until golden brown and crispy, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on the kitchen paper-lined tray.
5. Carry on cooking the rest of the dough in batches, sprinkling the cooked churros with some cinnamon sugar as you go. Once you’ve cooked all the churros, toss with any remaining cinnamon sugar and drizzle over the chocolate sauce.
Dark Chocolate Mousse October 27, 2016
Chocolate mousse is always a winner but this dark chocolate mouse recipe takes everything to a whole new level, absolutely delicious!
300g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (60% Cocao)
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
300ml thickened cream
1. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water). Stir until melted. Remove bowl from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes, or until mixture is pale, thick and has doubled in volume. Fold in cooled chocolate and cocoa powder until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Use a large metal spoon to carefully fold the cream into the chocolate mixture, trying to keep the mixture as light as possible.
4. Spoon into 6 serving glasses and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour. Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving, then top with grated chocolate to serve, you may also add ice cream on the side!
Carrot Soup July 26, 2016
A beautiful carrot soup packed with loads of flavor, perfect for those extra cold winter nights. Guaranteed to keep the whole family warm.
B-well canola oil
2 tablespoons butter
Juice from 1 orange or 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 cups chicken broth
900 grams of carrots, peeled and sliced
3 tablespoons freshly grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 cup of whipping cream or coconut milk
Salt and white pepper
1. Over medium high heat add a dash if B-well canola oil, add garlic, ginger and onions and cook for about 5 minutes stirring often.
2. Add broth and carrots bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then blend until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. Bring soup to a boil stirring often, add butter, salt and pepper, to taste. Adding the butter at the end will give the soup a nice “rich” finish.
If you do not have a blender you could simply grate all the ingredients, it might not be exactly as smooth but it should still come out great.
Authentic Italian Pizza Base July 26, 2016
The secret starts with an authentic pizza base, a great sauce and lastly is using only a few fresh ingredients.
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons B-well canola olive oil
1. Stir yeast and sugar into lukewarm water, using a fork. Let it stand for about 10 minutes.
2. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix the B-well canola olive oil into the flour and stir for 2 minutes. Pour yeast mixture and beaten egg into flour mixture and stir to make a stiff dough.
3. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until springy and smooth, about 8 minutes. Place dough into a floured bowl and cover with a piece of plastic wrap wiped with a thin film of olive oil.
4. Let dough rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down and roll out to desired shape and add your favorite pizza, cheese and toppings.
We will do a follow up recipe for a great pizza sauce but first you need to learn how to make an awesome and authentic Italian pizza base.
Blue Cheese Sauce July 20, 2016
Mushroom sauce is great, but this blue cheese sauce is in a league of its own. Best served over a beautiful steak, BBQ chicken wings or even with homemade gnocchi…
1 tablespoon B-well canola oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
3 slices bacon, chopped into small chunks (only optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Add your B-well canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and then saute the bacon (optional) for 3 minuets.
2. Next add the butter to the skillet containing the bacon and saute onions until golden brown, 7 to 8 minuets.
3. Pour the cream, a dash of salt and pepper and the Worcestershire sauce. Let it bubble, then add the blue cheese and stir together until the cheese is completed melted.
4. Add more pepper or Worcestershire sauce too taste.
Creamy Mushroom Soup July 01, 2016
This delicious creamy mushroom soup will help keep you warm on those extra-cold winter nights. It’s also quick and easy to make, so you can jump back under your blanket in no-time.
1/4 cup butter
1 cup thinly sliced button or shiitake mushrooms
1 cup thinly sliced portobello mushrooms
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of cream
1 teaspoon grounded black pepper
1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
sprinkle over some Parmesan cheese shavings (optional)
salt too taste
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the shiitake mushrooms, portobello mushrooms and shallots – saute for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
2. Mix in the flour until smooth.
3. Gradually stir in the chicken broth. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in the half-and-half, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Heat through, but do not boil. You can also sprinkle over some Parmesan cheese shavings once served.
Bread & Butter Pudding June 28, 2016
Old-fashioned bread and butter pudding is not only absolutely delicious, but it’s also quite easy on the wallet. With an extra sprinkle of pecan nuts and topped with some warm brandy sauce this dessert only gets better.
1 cup sugar
2 1⁄2 cups cream
1 cup pecans nuts (optional but recommended)
1 (450 grams) panettone bread or 8 slices white bread, halved
1 teaspoon vanilla
1⁄4 cup butter, melted
75 grams raisins
Brandy Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
1⁄4 cup cream
1⁄3 cup brandy or 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
1⁄2 cup butter
1. Pour melted butter into a medium sized glass or casserole baking tray which are safe to use in the oven.
2. Take Panettone bread or 8 slices white bread which had been cut in half and press into the buttered dish.
3. Mix all other ingredients (except the pecans) in a separate bowl, stirring to combine well, then pour evenly over the bread.
4. Sprinkle pecans and raisins on top and Bake at 180ºC for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
1. Place all brandy sauce ingredients in a sauce pan.
2. Heat gently and stir often. Don’t over cook- only about 5 minutes.
3. Scoop bread pudding into twelve individual serving dishes or coffee/tea cups, drizzle over 2 spoonfuls of warm brandy sauce on top of each serving and dig in.
Cheese Griller Corndog with Mayo Dip June 13, 2016
Beer battered cheese grillers with a dipping sauce made from Bwell canola mayonaise, easy to do snack. You can use any sausages your heart desires but cheese grillers work really well.
1 Onion chopped
B-well canola oil 25 mL
Salt and pepper to taste
Baby potatoes 400 g
Butter 50 g
2 Garlic cloves chopped
2 cups Cake flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1 Beer 1
1 Egg 1
* Smoked cheese sausages
125 mL B-well tangy mayonaise
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp Honey
750 mL B-well canola oil
1. Chop the onion and fry in the oil with salt and pepper, add the sliced
potatoes, sage, butter and garlic.
2. Make the batter by adding the flour, baking powder, egg and beer to a
mixing bowl with some salt.
3. Dunk the sausages in some flour just to coat the and the in the batter.
4. Fry the in Oil until golden and crispy
5. Make the dressing by adding the dijon the the mayo with the honey. Spoon
in a bowl.
6. Serve on baking paper with sprigs of tarragon or fresh herbs
Alfredo Mushroom & Chicken Pasta June 02, 2016
Alfredo Pasta with Bacon and Mushrooms, is hands down one of the most delicious pasta dishes on the planet. The only problem with this dish is that your kids will keep asking for it day after day. It’s definitely a great hearty dish, but you will have to take a rain check on your diet… It is decadent.
Ingredients for Chicken & Mushroom Alfredo Pasta:
5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
8 slices bacon, chopped into chunks or cooked ham slices
600 g linguine, spaghetti or pasta
Alfredo Sauce Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
250 grams of chopped mushrooms
1 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups full-fat milk
1 cup mushroom sauce powder mixed with milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Method for Alfredo Sauce:
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just al dente (don’t overcook pasta) drain but do not rinse. Transfer cooked pasta to large bowl and set aside until later.
2. In a large skillet add a dash of B-well olive and canola oil blend over medium heat; add in the chicken chunks and bacon; cook for about 2-3 minutes, remove chicken and bacon to a large bowl.
3. For the Alfredo sauce, in the same skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in mushroom slices and sauté until browned (about 10-12 minutes).
4. Add fresh garlic, pepper and smoked paprika; stir for 2 minutes.
5. Add in flour and stir for 1 minute, then add milk, mushroom sauce and heavy whipping cream; bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring constantly, until thickened. Remember to mix the mushroom sauce powder with 1 cup of milk before adding it.
6. When the Alfredo sauce is ready, add the chicken and bacon back into the skillet with the Afredo sauce, also add in the cooked pasta along with 2 tablespoons butter and the Parmesan cheese, mix everything together. Turn off the heat and keep mixing everything together until the butter and cheese is melted in properly.
Adding the butter and Parmesan cheese at the last moment, is the secret to an incredible alfredo! You could also sprinkle over some additional Parmesan cheese once plated.
Hamburger Beef Stroganoff June 02, 2016
You can make this delicious Creamy Hamburger Stroganoff in under 10 minutes, this dish works great during a busy work week or when you want to prepare something quick and delicious for the family to enjoy, without having to stand for hours in-front of the stove.
450 grams hamburger patties, store bought or home made.
2 handfuls of mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 onion, diced
1 handful of frozen peas
1 teaspoons smoked paprika or normal paprika
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can cream of mushroom soup or 300 ml
190 ml sour cream
2 teaspoons mustard powder or 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
4 tablespoons milk
100 ml Worcestershire
1 tablespoon B-well Creamy Gourmet Mayo
B-well canola oil
salt &pepper to taste
1. In a large pan on medium-high heat, add a dash of B-well canola oil and brown hamburgers in large skillet with onion, garlic and mushrooms..
2. Drain out fat and add soup, sour cream, mustard, B-well creamy gourmet mayo, Worcestershire sauce, milk, peas and sprinkle over paprika. Break the hamburger patties apart or keep whole, as you prefer. Breaking it apart will insure much more flavor gets absorbed, keeping the patties whole may cause the dish to loose a lot of flavor.
3. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper for taste, and serve with egg noodles or rice.